Tuesday, April 14, 2009

History

Today I have had a minor epiphany. I have come to the conclusion that the short-term purpose of this blog is to give you a history of my cartooning career. I'll post examples of previous work (I save almost everything, even the really horrid stuff), and explain how I got to where I am.

History of me, pt. 1

One morn when I was about 12, I was sitting in the car with my family waiting for...something... I don't remember quite what... but I had been waiting an unbearably long time (since I was 12, probably 8 Minutes), and I was incredibly bored (since I had the attention span of a gnat). I wanted to draw, but I didn't have any paper- a situation made even more unbearable by the fact that I had access to one of Dad's Really Cool Pens: pens that he always kept in the front of this shirt pocket. They weren't the regular roller ball pens, but they weren't plastic- of fiber-tipped pens either: they had metal tips that seemed to have little slits in the end to emit ink with a very beautiful line and even flow. I loved those pens so much that when I borrowed them I would occasionally 'forget' to give them back.
Earlier in the day (probably in a vain attempt to bribe me and my 4 siblings into giving her relative peace and quiet) my wonderful mother had bought a package of mini Butterfingers candy bars. We devoured them quickly, and lo and behold! underneath the sweets was a pristine, virgin expanse of white cardboard- perfect for a scrawny 12-year-old's artistic aspirations.
I requested one of the coveted pens and began to create.

To be contrived...

1 comment:

  1. Ooh!!! The drama!!! The suspense!!!! You could turn this into a mini-series!!! Someday when I'm a full time director I'm going to film the start of your famous career!!!

    ReplyDelete